SARA for Women Society (SARA) has an opening for a Temporary (Contract), Full-Time (35 hours/week) Outreach Worker.
SARA for Women Society is a community-based non-profit feminist organization that assists women through housing, programs, resource referral, and other supports. The organization also provides services for victims of violence.
SARA for Women is a leader in creating a world in which people peacefully resolve conflict in their homes, communities, countries and across the globe. Through innovative programs, diversity practices, social enterprise, and partnerships we build community capacity for spiritual, physical and emotional growth, and social responsibility in harmony with the environment.
Section 1 – General Information
Position Title: Outreach Worker
Job location: Mission/Abbotsford
Employment Type: Temporary (Contract ends March 31st, 2019), Full-Time
Reports to: Outreach Coordinator
Section 2 – Job Summary
The Outreach Worker will use SARA’s Mission Women’s Support Services as her home base and function as a team member under the general direction of the Outreach Program Coordinator. This position includes, but is not limited to, crisis and information calls, advocacy with community agencies, police, Ministry, and legal services.
Specifically, the Outreach Worker will:
- Provide information, support and referrals for: housing options, community agencies, legal services, social services and related government services (eg. child tax credit, immigration issues, etc.)
- Provide advocacy and accompaniment for women requesting service, including family court accompaniment and legal advocacy.
- Provide information and outreach support to women inquiring about or seeking services and to provide assistance in connecting women with ‘sister’ programs within the society.
- Attend and participate in weekly staff meetings and Society meetings.
- Keep various community agencies and organizations informed about SARA and to act as a liaison. To provide community speaks and participate on internal/external committees as required.
- Create community contacts and assist in increasing the accessibility of SARA to all women.
- Work as a SARA team member, including participation in performance evaluations, job description review, decisions affecting program goals and priorities, scheduling and relevant recruitment processes.
- Maintain confidential service records, develop and maintain feedback forms and submit reports/statistics as required.
- Keep current on:
- Women’s issues, specifically violence against women
- Issues relating to women who may face additional barriers, including race, culture or ethnicity, sexual orientation, economic status and ability.
- Legal issues, housing options, government and immigrant services.
- Attend appropriate training sessions, workshops and conferences.
Section 3 – Qualifications & Requirements:
- Relevant education (min. 2 years diploma or degree) and experience (2 years helping professional experience) an asset in providing outreach support to women.
- Excellent understanding of violence against women issues both within dominant and non-dominant cultures
- Good understanding of social services and resources in the Abbotsford/Mission area and how to access them.
- A solid understanding of the role of the advocate as well as how to be an effective advocate
- Commitment to a coordinated team-based approach
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and to work independently
- Willingness and ability to be work flexible hours (evening and weekend work may be a requirement)
- Strong listening, writing, presentation, facilitation, public speaking and computer skills required
- Good understanding of the legal issues facing women who have been abused, particularly those from a different culture. An understanding of Family Law.
- Excellent knowledge of supports available to help women access legal information and support.
- Must be well organized with good case management skills. This includes keeping up-to-date confidential client files, producing program reports and statistics as required and on time, and keeping abreast of current information that is relevant to our ability to deliver relevant, accurate information and services.
Section 4 – Job Location & Working Conditions
Job and/or Program Location(s): Mission/Abbotsford
- Travel with reimbursement for mileage and use of a reliable vehicle with business insurance required
- Employment is contingent on the successful completion of a criminal record check
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license
- Punjabi speaking is an asset
- Occupational First Aid, Level 1 certificate is required. Copy of valid certification must be presented on first day of work
- Firm commitment to the SARA “women’s centered” approach to support and service delivery
- Solid and demonstrable work ethic and the ability to work efficiently and with minimal supervision
- Firm commitment to the SARA team based approach
Submit cover letter and resume to: OutreachPostings@saraforwomen.ca
Subject: F/T Outreach Worker position
Posting date: September 26th, 2018
Remains open until position has been filled.
SARA promotes the principles of anti-oppression, diversity and inclusion. We strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve.
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.
Please follow this link for a printable version of this posting: Outreach Worker – FT Contract