Section 1 – General Information
- Position Title: Transition House Support Worker (Full-Time)
- Program or Department: Transition House (Abbotsford)
- Reports to: TH Team Lead, TH Coordinator
Section 2 – Job Summary
Reporting to the Transition House Team Leads or Transition House Coordinator, the Support Worker will provide advocacy, one to one support, assessment, intake and discharge services for residents accessing our Transition House programs. She will provide group facilitation and crisis intervention in the Transition House for up to twelve women and children fleeing violence. She will provide administrative support as necessary, ensuring the safety and security of the program. The program operates 24/7 and employees may work day, evening or weekend shifts and statutory holidays. The successful candidate will be self-motivated, outgoing, caring, and will understand the importance of working within an agency that practices a non-judgemental woman-centered approach.
Section 3 – Qualifications, experience and abilities
- Relevant education (min. 2 years diploma) and experience (2 years helping professional experience) an asset in providing outreach support to women.
- Excellent understanding of violence against women issues both within dominant and non-dominant cultures
- Comprehensive understanding of social services and resources in Abbotsford and how to access them
- Solid understanding of the role of an advocate as well as how to be an effective advocate
- Commitment to a coordinated team-based approach
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and to work independently
- Willingness and ability to be work flexible hours (evening and weekend work may be a requirement)
- Strong listening, writing, presentation, facilitation, public speaking and computer skills required
- Demonstrated commitment to feminist values as articulated by SARA vision
- Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate information to others (cross-over and log book communications are examples)
- Demonstrated ability to provide individual and/or group support to assist women and their children in understanding and coping with the effects of abusive cycles and family violence
- Demonstrated ability to provide crisis intervention and support for children and youth
- Demonstrated ability to support women with their children
- Firm commitment to SARA’s “woman-centered” approach to support and service delivery
- Firm commitment to SARA’s pro-choice stance
- Solid and demonstrable work ethic and the ability to work efficiently and with minimal supervision
- Firm commitment to SARA’s team based approach
- Ability to network and interact well with other service providers and allied colleagues
- Firm commitment to SARA’s Mandate, Philosophy and Values
- Energetic, positive, optimistic, and pragmatic
- Demonstrated commitment to building and sustaining a healthy workplace
- Excellent inter-personal skills
- Able to provide non-judgmental support to both clients and colleagues
- Ability to be adaptive to different situations
- Commitment to a cross-team, integrated approach to service
- Commitment to ongoing professional development and learning
- Valid First Aid and Food Safe Certificates
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time, lift up to 30lbs, pick up and sort bagged or packaged donations.
Section 4 – Job Location & Working Conditions
Job and/or Program Location(s): Abbotsford
Working conditions: Travel with reimbursement for mileage and use of a reliable vehicle with business insurance required. Some overtime and work outside of traditional hours may be required.
- Employment is contingent on the successful completion of a Criminal Record Check
- Clean driver’s abstract is required
- Previous use of SARA or WRSFV services must be disclosed at time of application
Submit cover letter and resume to: THpostings@saraforwomen.ca
Subject: Full-Time Transition House Support Worker
SARA promotes the principles of anti-oppression, diversity and inclusion. We strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals from First Nations, diverse ethnocultural origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations are encouraged to apply.
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.
For a printable PDF of the job description, follow: TH Full Time Womens Support Worker